Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] rant about themes

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] rant about themes
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:57:57 +0000

Andrew M Cohill (address@hidden) wrote*:

>>Font tags, center tags, all this icky table attribs are HTML3. Shouldn't
>>the focus now be on HTML4 and CSS? Do not cite Netscape4. Only weirdos use
>>that damned browser. UPDATE. ;)
>
>These folks were not "wierdos."  They represented a reasonable cross
>section of the other 95% of the people in the country (about 5% of
>the country works in the IT industry).

I like that I can check my account from a console in links.  There will be
high-end
only templates, and you are very welcome to make one, but I will likely not use
it.

>Unfortunately,  despite requests on this list, I was unable to get a
>definitive answer on how to configure phpGW to avoid the session
>error.  Most suggestions assumed I had complete control of the
>server--I didn't and still don't--I'm using a hosting service, and
>they are not willing to make a lot of special changes for one
>customer and one piece of software.

Did you try disabling cookies to get rid of the error?  I don't remember any
recent
session descusions, but I don't follow every thread so that shouldn't be a
suprize.

It is unforunate the number of hosting services that have poorly configured php
installs.  phpGW is a very complicated application/api.  And it's definitly not
going to become less complicated internaly, thought the interfaces will
continue to
get easier to use.  Seriously, could you run your own copy of Exchnage at a
hosted
service?  That's really what we are talking about here.  Unless your ISP is
ready
to commit to properly configuring there server (as in no safe mode and proper
database support), you not likely be able to run any application as complex as a
Groupware suite.

>>If phpGW is going to break out of the limited market of tech-savvy
>users and groups, it has to have better set up and configuration
>instructions, especially to run it on  commercial hosting services.
>And it has to support a wider range of new AND old browsers (at least
>back to 4.x on both Mac and Windows).

Setup and confinguration are getting better.  And even now I think it's mostly
easier to admin than an Exchange server.  Hosting on some commercial services
will
never be feasable because they are not willing to commit to learning how to run
full featured php enabled web server AND do it securly.  They are afraid of the
security, so they cripple php just so they can say they support php and feel
secure
about it.  I should also note here that on a mostly default Mandrake Web Server
install, phpGroupWare runs just fine.  I only tweaked Apache for best
performance
on my hardware and nothing more.  Last I heard, the core team is commited to
supportig older and text only browsers on all platforms, and also php3 on the
server.

Chris