Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Templates class, CSS support and print vi

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Templates class, CSS support and print view support
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 21:53:12 -0700

Peter Moulding wrote:

> CSS good. Forced CSS bad.

Good point you brought up. I dont intend CSS to be forced at all. The
template sets can choose to use them or not, as mentioned they have to
put {phpgw_css} in their templates <HEAD></HEAD> section for them to be
even included in the final html file.
I also plan to do some quick browser detection to make sure they are
safe.

> Please give the users a CSS yes/no/auto preference so users can specify
> no for browsers that have faulty CSS and yes for browsers that have
> working CSS but are assumed to have no CSS by the people who write code
> to control CSS usage.

I think the user will just have to choose a template set that does not
make use of CSS if they dont want CSS at all. If a template set makes
heavy uses of the CSS classes/definitions and then they arent inserted
into the html HEAD section, I think the results may be a mess. I will be
doing some testing on this option tho.

> To make sure people can reach their preferences, the logon page, home
> page, and preferences page should have the minimum CSS dependencies.

This is probably how it would end up anyways, but I cant be certain of
even that just yet. I think browser detection can solve a good deal of
this tho.

> The administrator should also have the option to set CSS to no for
> people having problems with CSS. If I am on the road with a notebook and
> only one browser installed and do not have the option to turn of faulty
> CSS, I would like to call the administrator and have him/her/other turn
> it off.

Template/Interface selection as well as browser detection is the likely
solution to this as well.

Good points

Dan