Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Templates class, CSS support and print vie

From: Andy Mayer
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Templates class, CSS support and print view support
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 12:19:31 +0100

> Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) support:
> I am adding a way for template sets and apps to more easily and
> consistantly support CSS.

I am new to phpgw, but I doubt the value of having themes control
different style sheets for the same template set.

My preference would be that the designer makes the visual/HTML design
in the template files and that's the end of it; no different colour
themes or selectable CSS options. If he chooses to use CSS to implement
his design, then it should be coded in the head.tpl of the template and
the user is then forced to use the gui exactly as the designer designed
it. Other specific user requirements (eg. colour changes, browser
compatibility issues) should be dealt with by designing a completely
different template set to specificially suit those requirements.

>From a web-interface perspective, it's seems mad to me that a template
should be designed, then only to be messed up by the possibility of
changing CSS and themes colours later on. Also, the overhead of
supporting this in the visual design means that we only end up with
lame templates that try to do everything but end up looking second-rate
and not actualy adding much value.

Does that make sense?

Look at a template set here that uses a "hard coded CSS" and doesn't
support themes:

http://www.andymayer.net/screen.jpg

Just my 2$

Andy Mayer