Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] jscalendar

From: ceb
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] jscalendar
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:03:07 +0200 (CEST)

heya,

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Lars Kneschke wrote:

> address@hidden schrieb:
> >hey,
> >we droped the jscalendar from our cvs tree again, maybe temporarily.
> >the
> >reason is they do not use the lgpl but changed the lgpl licensing
> >notice
> >by adding some aditional notice.
>
> We are moving in the wrong direction!
>
> Today it is more important for our project to have the right license then
> producing code. This is something that makes me really unhappy!!!

hm? of course we only can use code from other apps which are licensed
under gpl/lgpl. since the jscalendar uses none of these licneses its a
nonfree app and we can't use it until they changed their header info.

> Ralf imported the source, integrated it into phpGroupware, many people were
> happy with that feature, but because the developer appended some little
> clause the work gets destroyed.

ralf should have talked about the additions he wanted to add... and not
just do what some company is going to pay him for...
there are some more developers with ideas how to handle js, so it needs
some discussion.

if the code is not licensed under the gpl/lgpl or whatever os license it
is nonfree code. as long as they did not change their header info we cant
use it since its not the lgpl ok :)

we have to check the license before importing others code. atm we
can not keep that jscal code in our cvs tree because its nonfree. we were
talking with nb - nb is the founder of the dotgnu project - about the
license of jscalendar and he found out the license break in the header
info. as a gnu package and a part of dotgnu we can not use that code from
jscalendar until they changed the license info.

> This something i can't understand! Why can't we simply contatct the
> developer of this class and tell him about the problem. If he changes the
> statement the class can stay, if not we need to remove the class.
>
> I know that it is important to have a look at the license(see SCO against
> IBM/Linux/GPL), but the way our leaders(wo are the project leaders
> currently????) are doing, shows no respect for the work of other people.

we have some agreements about the way we should work together as a team.
one of the most important rule for a teamwork is: talk about something,
_before_ adding it to our cvs tree, discuss it with the other developers.

grtx. ceb

> I'm i the only one who feels like this?
>
> Cu
> --
> written with FeLaMiMail

grtx. bettina [ceb]

[have a lot of funk]

---------
[contact]
[atelier] [grosse brunnenstr.139 | 22763 hamburg] [germany]
[fon] [+49] [+40] [41 09 56 57]
-------------------------------
[at school] [hchschle fr bldnde knste hmbrg]
            [academy of fine arts hamburg] [germany]
            [telematik]
            [garage]
            [telenautik]
[fon] [telematik] [+49] [+40] [42 832] [25 86]
[url] [www.hfbk-hamburg.de]
---------------------------
[homepage] [www.x-werk.org]
---------------------------
[projects]
[phpGroupWare]
[www.phpgroupware.org]
[FUNKWERK]
[funkwerk.sourceforge.net]
[linux-at-work]
[sourceforge.net/projects/linux-at-work]