Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] proposal-branch; porting

From: Joseph Engo
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] proposal-branch; porting
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 20:23:22 -0400

Just a follow up on this, I did some research on how ADODB handles
sequences / last insert ID number for cross database support.
- - For MySQL, it will create a table named <sequence_id_name> and
update that when you request the next id number.
~  This also holds true for any databases which don't support native
sequences.
- - PostgreSQL will keep using its build in sequence support.  It will
just do a nextval('<sequence_id_name>')

Keep in mind, you *must* request an ID number *before* you do your
insert.  At that time, you must specify the new
ID number in your insert.

I don't like how it creates a seperate table for each sequence, it
really clutters things up.  I would prefear to create
a generic single table to handle all of these.  However, I want to
wait until more databases are tested to make sure its
all going to fit together.  Presently, you must specify the PostgreSQL
generated sequence name.  I want to develop
our own naming conventions for this, kind of like what schemaproc
does.  This will need to be changed in ADODB,
I am going to contact that developers of the AXMLS and ADODB to have
this added in a future release.  I want to make
as little, if any changes to there code.  Make sure its up to date.

If anyone is porting or working on apps for the new framework, please
follow the above method.  Once you come up with
some standard names, it won't be hard to make changes.