Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] XSLT-version

From: Alex Borges
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] XSLT-version
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:49:47 -0500

Kai Hofmann wrote:

Disclaimers:
* These are my own personal opinions

These are my personal opinions (independend of pb).

Same here

State of 0.9.16 branch:
* Some bugs to be fixed
* feature frozen
* Has some nice features in it
* Lots of feature patches floating around

also pb has made a lot of changes to 0.9.16 within
the pb internal cvs, because pb could not at
new features to the frozen 0.9.16.

Weve been hush beacuse of all the work, but weve also a host of patches. Maybe we should all revise each others and review implementation so that the community can choose? My include generic xml importing, school-courseware applications, wysiwyg email and general widget based in FCKEditor, more use of phplayermenus for stuff like the calendar, remoting based notify window, a bunch of browser friendly js apis to do remoting. Why dont we start mailing each other to look at each other's stuff.

State of HEAD branch
* Generally behind 16 for apps
* API is a mish mash of 14 and new features
* Few 16 security issues fixed
* Actively developed by 2 people (Sigurd and ceb)

I thought Sigurd has moved to nextgen?

My personal solution to this situation is:

- Check out 0.9.16
- Check out the head branch - copy everything from 0.9.16 into head
- for the case there is some interest also add the pb changes already made
and checkin to head
- make the whole thing running
- checkin head branch
- continue development on head for 0.9.18 (this includes making XSLT things
working again when required).

Any pros and cons to this?
Well i personally think that the xslt stuff in head is not ideal by today's standards of XML web features. The thing is that developers now depend on it, so it wouldnt be unfair to change it. Lets keep api dependancies necessary to support already existing development for head and then do all that you put up here.

What i mean is that its probably not worth it to port more apps to head-like xslt templates if thats gonna go for nextgen in a completely different direction. Just support them for legacy, make shure stuff works, put the code out and move on to nextgen.

Greetings

  Kai / PowerStat

********************************************************* Wir freuen uns auf Ihren Besuch: SYSTEMS 2004: probusiness in Halle B3, Stand 345 LinuxWorld 2004: probusiness in Halle 4, Stand B06 Besuchen Sie ausserdem unsere Technologietage am 05.10./07.10./21.10.04 in Hannover, Dresden und Berlin *********************************************************