Re: [Phpgroupware-users] "Betting Your Company" on PHPGroupware

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] "Betting Your Company" on PHPGroupware
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 10:49:23 -0700

I think phpGW can be a fine solution for this, so long as you have (or are willing to hire) a developer who is able to do development work. It would be a mess to try and count on the "community" to complete things you need for your business in your time frames.

So assuming you have at least one developer to use for handling the dev issues, I think phpGW is a great foundation.

Doug Dicks wrote:

Hello All,

I need some opinions or advice.

A month ago some of my coworkers and I left our previous employer to start a new company. We've just gotten our first significant contract, one which calls for a groupware (email, address book, time-tracking) solution. It's a large number of users, but generally not all at the same time. We'd really like to use an open solution. We all believe in open source and are willing to contribute work back to the project. Something like Exchange/Outlook would kill our profit margin, but we'd rather break even than fail.

The new project is pretty high-visibility within the local community and has several very large companies involved. The outcome of this project will certainly have a major, major impact on the future of our new company.

So, given all of this, would you use PHPGroupware if this were *your* company? Why or why not?

Thanks for your advice. PHPGroupware is our "plan a", and I need to validate this direction. Things should get rolling very quickly now that we have the deal, and the project schedule doesn't allow for any time to change out the core technology half-way through.

Thanks again.  I look forward to your comments.

Doug
--
Doug Dicks
Revelant Technologies