Re: [phpGroupWare-users] Re: phpGW for Unix users managed by LDAP

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-users] Re: phpGW for Unix users managed by LDAP
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:51:01 -0500

On 10/26/06, Dave Hall <address@hidden> wrote:
> 5) Filemanager: One could solve this problem with a CGI-program that
> runs as SUID, but I guess this would introduce huge security holes
> (what if it is not accessible from apache2, but from phpgw - is that
> possible).

phpgw runs as apache.

more specificaly, unless you setup php as CGI, php runs INSIDE of
apache, as a loadable module.  the 2 are generaly not seperated.  and,
how would this differ from a ftp-vfs backendm using the email login
data to auth to ftp?  ftp would sertainly be easier to implement than
building a new protocol and daemon.  also would able webdav?  can
per-user auth be added to that?

> Anyway, the filemanager does not work at all (for the user eziegler it
> insists on the path /home/eziegler which cannot be created - can I

/setup/ step2, set the path to soemthing not /home (but stil loutside
the web root).  if it is set to /home, it going to try to take over
the users home dirs, which it hopefull won't have permission to do.

> change this setting?) Maybe I have to select "Do you want to manage
> home directories?" in the "If you use LDAP" section to "yes", but I
> don't want to store the information in LDAP, I just want it to use the
> prefix value given below.

this is for being able to set the POSIX home dir from the phpgw
account management.  not really realted at all.