Re: Creating custom debug streams

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: Creating custom debug streams
Date: 06 Jun 2002 16:34:40 +0200

David Philippi <address@hidden> writes:

> Good to know. Any problems with changing the #defines to an enum?

No.

> It's more object oriented that way and I think some tools might have
> better support for it (e.g. doxygen can link the members of an enum
> to the declaration if I remember right).

enum SomeEnum { A, B, C, ...};

doesnt work under MSVC, so one has to write:

typedef enum { A, B, C, ...}  SomeEnum;

Also make sure that the values stay the same, since they are used as a
bitmask.

> I'll see what I can find then. I don't like code with unknown meanings and
> overflow looks much more like it should detect if one tries to insert more
> data then the internal buffer may hold. Therefore, already return 0 doesn't
> look good to me.

As far as I remember overflow(int c) is called when the buffer is
full, so that one can clear the buffer and write out the content. 'c'
is the character which caused the overflow, so one also has to output
that. sync() does the same, but not on an overfull buffer, but instead
it can be triggered with a std::flush.

--
Advent:     http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/advent/
Feuerkraft: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/feuerkraft/