Re: Fixed width numbers and infinite time.

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: Fixed width numbers and infinite time.
Date: 22 Oct 2002 02:06:07 +0200

Gervase Lam <address@hidden> writes:

> I know that one of the items in the bug list is to have an infinity
> sign for this situation. However, I was wondering, wouldn't it be
> hassle free and therefore easier not have the time displayed at all?

Well, of course that would be the easier, but it wouldn't really look
good for the player (hey, why did the time limit disapear?! maybe a
bug...).

> This is especially the case when the infinity character is not an
> ASCII character. This means that it would not "translate" well to
> the character sets of non-PC computers.

Thats no problem at all, first the oo character doesn't have to be a
character, it can be a normal sprite/surface and even if it should be
a character, that would be pretty trivial, since you can hijack an
existing character. And since the time-font doesn't have to be full
ASCII (only needs [0-9.:-]) tha wouldn't be a big problem.

> So, have nothing in the top right-hand corner of the screen if the
> time is infinite. The player would automatically know that the time
> limit is infinite because the player sees nothing in the top
> right-hand corner.

Some players will probally think this is a bug, in the end it would be
best for all levels to have a time limit, the oo-sign is more a
workaround for unfinished levels. We also need to replace some of the
text in the info-panels with icons, its currently to much ASCII-art
there.

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927