Re: beta testing comments

From: Gervase Lam
Subject: Re: beta testing comments
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 16:04:35 +0000

For some unknown reason Digest #139 never reached my mailbox.  Anyway...

> Ok, a bit of frustration is ok, a level shouldn't really be
> solveable by just "pause, click a pingu, pause, click a pingu, pause,
> fastforward, solved." on the first try, since that makes it to easy,
> but once one really knows which actions are needed at which point, the
> level should be solveable in a single try and not depend upon random
> events.

Personally I think Lemmings and therefore Pingus are arcade games (e.g.
platform games, which is what I think Lemmings/Pingus are; Quake, etc...).
So my personal preference is to not allow any actions to be applied during
pause mode.

The "Pause-Click-Pause" mode is a good compromise.  However, this can get
frustrating, especially with the "problems" that desert2.xml has.
(Personally, I quite liked having a few of those type of levels in
Lemmings, where they would fall to their deaths on immediately coming out
of the exit).

The next step is slow-mo mode.  I think from a playability point of view,
this is better.  But the really really big thing I don't like about it is
that there is the possibility of a player playing Pingus with slow-mo on
all of the time.

I think overall "Pause-Click-Pause" is the method I prefer if I don't
change my mind.  It is also easier to implement.

Thanks,
Gervase.