Re: Windows Updates

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Windows Updates
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 14:42:22 +0100

On Monday 30 December 2002 22:43, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> It seems VC++ and GCC have issues over what is visible to child classes,

VC++ has problems with beeing conformant to the standard in this case - like
in so many others. :-(

> without the patch it doesn't compile, with it it does. This just makes the
> enum type public which might not be a good idea (or it might, not sure).

The problem is that VC++ doesn't make an inner class friend to the outer class
and vice versa. Since I don't like having the enum public, could you try
wheter VC++ at least acepts a friend declaration? It would have to go below
the inner class so that it's already defined. I'm nearly sure that this will
work but VC++ (6) is really a very buggy compiler...
I'll commit only the pingus.dsp for now.

> Protected also might work,  but I always avoid it from personal prefrence.

Protected wouldn't work since the inner class isn't derived from the outer (I
don't think that's even possible for nested classes).

Bye David