Re: Collider and Mover code

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Collider and Mover code
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:29:44 +0100

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 00:20, Gervase Lam wrote:
> May be I should have asked a better question here.  If getpixel() were
> moved to collider and pingu_collider added, pingu_collider would be a
> class that would add no functionality.  It would only add a possibly more
> future proof hierarchy?
> For example, something in the future could be added to pingu_collider
> because it is something in common with all pingu_colliders.  Having
> pingu_collider would (could!?) make this easy.

I see what you mean, but I don't see the need to add class pingu_collider yet.
If at some point in the feature we decide that there are some new features
which do only apply to pingu_colliders it shouldn't pose a real problem to
create this class and put the code there. Moving existing classes down in an
inheritance tree isn't much work unless I miss some problem?

> Also, if the former class hierarchy were to be adopted, does this mean
> that there should be a directory structure like
> "Games/Pingus/src/colliders/pingu_colliders"?

If we add some special pingu_colliders I'd like to see them in their own
directory. I've got no problem at all with many directories going down up to
say 3-5 levels from src/ . Beyond that there will probably be no
simplification. ;-)
On the other hand, I consider src/ an ugly beast with way to many files to be
understood easily. We definitly should work on grouping more files together
into directories + corresponding namespaces in order to split Pingus into
logical modules. The lack of this is one reason why even I still don't
understand the whole code of Pingus although I've spent quite some time on
the code.
That said - I'd like to hear Ingos opinion on the matter before something is
checked in. Even better could be to have another IRC meeting.

Bye David