Re: Strange locale problem/fix

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Strange locale problem/fix
Date: 15 Apr 2003 09:22:28 +0200

Am Die, 2003-04-15 um 02.29 schrieb Ingo Ruhnke:
> > Any other ideas? If no, and nobody minds having a bit ugly names in
> > resource file, can we apply this?

I guess we could simply do a

char * save = setlocale (LC_CTYPE, NULL);
setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "C");
// do your stuff
setlocale(LC_CTYPE, save);

That way the processing of the stuff always happens in the C locale and
should make no problems. One only has to look out not to process
translated strings inside.

> in pingus_main.cxx, but that will lead to Umlauts being handled
> incorrectly or not handled at all. A '?' will get used instead of the
> actual Umlaut, I haven't really tried yet to figure out why this is
> happening and where.

I'd guess that the character functions then use some undefined or wrong
character. Most likely the code of the umlauts has no meaning in locale
C (or is defined as ?).

> BTW. Making gettext accept translation even if not installed with
> 'make install' would also be nice to have, if all else fails hacking
> gettext should do it, since we have it in CVS anyway, it shouldn't be
> to much of a problem.

Why would we need it? I've become used to do make install only in /src
and /po to cut the time down. No need to copy the image files all the
time.

Bye David