Re: Strange locale problem/fix

From: cagri coltekin
Subject: Re: Strange locale problem/fix
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:55:21 +0200

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 01:05:32PM +0200, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
> cagri coltekin <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Any other ideas? If no, and nobody minds having a bit ugly names
> > in resource file, can we apply this?
>
> I have added now a:
>
>  bind_textdomain_codeset(PACKAGE, "ISO-8859-1");
>
> and removed the setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "") call, that should keep the
> toupper() and other C functions happily in the C-locale, while using
> ISO-8859-1 for the output from gettext.

This is very close, but does not solve all, because Turkish is
not in ISO-8859-1. If we consider our fonts ISO-8859-1, than they
are a bit lame that some Icelandic characters are wrong. It
should be OK until the Icelandic translation ;).

I can volunteer to work on a better solution covering all
different character sets, after 0.6 release.

For now, how about the following?

  bind_textdomain_codeset(PACKAGE, setlocale (LC_CTYPE, NULL));

This would be more portable for other character sets, and it
seems this version solves my problem as well.

Thanks,
--
cagri