playogg-discuss

Re: [playogg-discuss] campaign objectives (was: playogg/faq: unclear phr

From: Jeff
Subject: Re: [playogg-discuss] campaign objectives (was: playogg/faq: unclear phrase)
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 10:54:57 -0400

On May 2, 2010, at 10:06 AM, ineiev <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi, Jeff

Jeff wrote:
On May 1, 2010, at 2:49 PM, ineiev <address@hidden> wrote:
The code? that is, the specification of the format?
or the source code of an implementation?
Well, the specification of the format. I'm sure there is a little work involved in making a player support another format.

Typically, yes; there might be corner cases like OOXML: as
I understand, free software developers wouldn't support it
because the format is unreasonably complicated
to independently implement (though it fits very well
to it's designer code base) -- but most likely
there is no similar multimedia format.

I'm not familiar with this format by name, so I can't really respond.

Isn't Winamp a proprietary program? the campaign is about
advertising VLC rather than Winamp.
Yes, winamp is proprietary.
True true. In this case, if it using a proprietary application to listen to ogg, so that ogg can be more mainstream, it's a compromise I would support at least short term.

So, we may recommend adding "send your (proprietary) player
developers a request to support Ogg formats better"
to the action list at http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/playogg/en (?)

I am not running the campaign, but I think that woul be a great inclusion.

Ineiev,

It's been good talking with you, but later today I will be traveling and not accessing my e-mail. I will return in a week.

Many Thanks for your support and contribution.

Jeff