protux-devel

Re: [Protux-devel] 0.16.0pre2 is out

From: Martin Herren
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] 0.16.0pre2 is out
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 10:41:42 +0100

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002 22:01:20 +0000
Luciano Giordana <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I should think however that ALSA is installed on my system. I consulted
> > ASPLinux team, and these guys said that ALSA is turn on and activated by
> > default in distribution I use. Maybe ALSA may use some other trick instead
> > of /proc/asound/cards?
> >

> I agree..
> I couldnt find anything on alsa doc about how to detect the sound cards
> installed ,
> this is the only way I could
>
> that's the history about the bad alsa docs....
>
> maybe somebody could help me on this...

i think it would be good if ALSA had another interface than /proc to access the
soundcard list, but i took a quick look into the doxygen doc, and couldn't find
anything...
anyway i'll try to learn more about ALSA soon...
but i'm still too busy and i'd like to work on autostuff first...

for Valery: i can see 2 reasons why you wouldn't have /proc/asound/cards/:
 - you don't have /proc support in your kernel, but in this case you wouldn't
have any /proc directory or at least it would be empty... i don't think you can
use ALSA without /proc support
 - more probably: you didn't load the ALSA modules corresponding to your
soundcard...
for a sb16 it would be
modprobe snd-sb16
for a sb live
modprobe snd-emu10k1
but i don't know what card you use...

hth

Martin

--
Open your Windows - Free your Mind - Enjoy
http://gnuwin.epfl.ch

Martin Herren                             +41 (0)79 746 57 83
OpenPGP Public key @ http://www.on-the-web.ch/sputnik/gpg.asc