protux-devel

Re: [Protux-devel] Happy New Year and perhaps the solution to our CVS/Au

From: Martin Herren
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] Happy New Year and perhaps the solution to our CVS/Autostuff problems
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:46:27 +0100

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 14:50:47 +0100
address@hidden (booker) wrote:

> But some (cvs)problems seems to be taken along from 2003 ...

after endless researches i arrived at the conclusion that cvs and autotools are
not made for each other... but there is a simple solution

> checking for mustux headers... /usr/local/include
> checking for libmustux version >= 0.30... ./configure: line 9267: test: too
> many arguments
> ./configure: line 9272: test: too many arguments
> no
> configure: error: you need to upgrade to a newer version of mustux
> address@hidden protux]$
>
> I've already tried the well known old solution ...
>
> address@hidden protux]$ aclocal -I ~booker/cvs/mustux/mustuxlib/
> address@hidden protux]$ libtoolize --force
> Using `AC_PROG_RANLIB' is rendered obsolete by `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
> address@hidden protux]$ autoheader
> address@hidden protux]$ autoconf
> address@hidden protux]$ automake

what does
$ autoreconf --force
give ?

I think about to remove most of the autostuff files from cvs, just leaving the
configure.ac, all the Makefile.am and the acinclude.ac only...
This forces everyone who uses cvs to have autotools in the correct version
installed (or a compatible version, as there is more than just one working
;-)...

But that is no change with what we have now:
The reason is simple (but it took me a long time to find out): CVS doesn't
preserve timestamps... so even if all the files are present, you run
./configure, and then make, and make will rerun autotools as the timestamps are
not correct (and make thinks the dependencies are not correct). So at the end
you need the correct version of autotools too...

So removing most autotool files won't change anything from the user point, but
will prevent having cvs conflicts in configure and Makefile.in as we often have
now... and which results in error as the one mentioned above.

Just a note about releases, once libmustux/protux has been built succesffully
(you can run make without it rerunning autotools), all timestamps are correct,
so it's possible to make a distribution tarball without the end user needing to
have autotools installed (tar files preserve timestamps ;-)

Ok, it's up to you, should i remove all unnecessary autotool files from CVS ?
Keeping only the ones which cannot be built using autotools ?

/Martin

--
Martin Herren

Protux - A Free Professional Audio Tool for GNU/Linux:
-> http://www.nongnu.org/protux/
Satellite - BAR CONCERTS CAFES-THEATRES
-> http://sat.epfl.ch