qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to send Ctrl+Alt+F1 to guest OS?

From: Josh Metzler
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to send Ctrl+Alt+F1 to guest OS?
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 10:07:50 -0500

On Friday 06 February 2004 07:16 pm, Josh Metzler wrote:
> Now that I have xfree86 working in qemu, I would like to be able to send
> Ctrl+Alt+F1 to it to switch back to a vt.  When I try this, though, my host
> machine switches to vt1, even if I have the mouse captured by qemu.  Is
> there any way to do this?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

Thanks for the replies.  I do agree that the vmware method would be easiest
(as I also like to be able to switch to a vt on my host as well).  A few
other possibilities I can think of, the first two of which are used by Bochs:

1) Bochs has a "send special key combo" button, for which you can set the key
combination.

2) In Bochs if you press a modifier key (Ctrl, Alt, or Shift) while the mouse
is over the emulator window (not captured), then move the mouse off the
window, and then release the key, it stays pressed for the guest OS.  So, you
press Ctrl+Alt over the emulator, move the mouse off and release, then move
back over and hit F1.  This takes some getting used to (especially when you
do it accidentally and can't figure out why all your keystrokes have a Ctrl
character with them), but once used to it, it is easy to use.

3) Use some special Ctrl+a codes in the xterm that launched Qemu
Another possible method, which Bochs uses, is you press Ctrl+Alt while the
mouse is over the emulator (for example Ctrl+a Ctrl+F1 could send a
Ctrl+Alt+F1, Ctrl+a F7 could send an Alt+F7 ...) This would maybe be easiest
to implement (since Ctrl+a Ctrl+a already sends a Ctrl+a), but maybe the
hardest to learn to use.

Josh