qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU RFB (vnc) driver

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU RFB (vnc) driver
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 20:34:10 +0200

Brad Campbell wrote:
Matthew Mastracci wrote:

I'm working on adding RFB support for QEMU.  I've attached my
work-in-progress here.  You'll need to compile and link against
libvncserver to make it work- I'm not an autoconf wizard, so I just
hacked my local version for now.

The whole thing works surprisingly well.  I managed to talk to QEMU on
my Linux box from my LAN-connected Windows box with amazing performance.

It's a bit of a pain using the mouse over VNC since everything is done
using relative position packets.  It might be possible to emulate a
Synaptics PS/2 touchpad (which supports absolute positioning and is
supported under Windows and X) to make this a bit easier, but I'm not
certain how difficult that would be.  It might be easier to whip up a
special VNC client that supports mouse capturing.  :)

I vote for the Synaptics PS/2 touchpad emulation. From the Linux kernel source, it does not seem difficult.

Another topic is the keycode conversions. Even with SDL, a solution like bochs or rdesktop (with an option to give the host keyboard mapping) is needed. That's why I did not merge the various patch submitted to 'improve' the SDL keyboard emulation.

Fabrice.