qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU RFB (vnc) driver

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU RFB (vnc) driver
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 22:49:56 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

First of all: QEMU is wonderful. It is blazingly fast, yet very small!

Second, my sincere apologies to Matthew: I hacked together my own version
of what you did. Attached is a patch which does about the same thing.

A few differences, though:

        - I stole a bit from wine, so I have a compile time choice of a
          keymap. This certainly has room to improve.

        - I actually change the screen resolution. There is support for
          this in LibVNCServer since version 0.4, and a few clients
          support it. If the client does not support the change, a warning
          is issued.

        - It is configurable:
                ./configure --enable-vnc
          will change the output completely to vnc, and
                ./configure --enable-vnc-and-sdl
          will use both simultaneously!

        - It still contains debug messages for every key you hit (it also
          has those messages in SDL so I can work out why VNC behaves
          differently).

On Wed, 5 May 2004, Fabrice Bellard wrote:

> Brad Campbell wrote:
> > Matthew Mastracci wrote:
> >> It's a bit of a pain using the mouse over VNC since everything is done
> >> using relative position packets.  It might be possible to emulate a
> >> Synaptics PS/2 touchpad (which supports absolute positioning and is
> >> supported under Windows and X) to make this a bit easier, but I'm not
> >> certain how difficult that would be.  It might be easier to whip up a
> >> special VNC client that supports mouse capturing.  :)

Yes, but the whole idea of VNC is that you can use any client ever written
with every VNC server ever to be written. This is certainly a new concept
in the Microsoft world, where you have to upgrade to the new office
version, because somebody decided to send you a Word document.

> I vote for the Synaptics PS/2 touchpad emulation. From the Linux kernel
> source, it does not seem difficult.

Me, too. But for me, it seems difficult. I have an idea where to start,
but I don't know too many things about mouses and their protocols.

Another idea hit me: The main problem with the mouse seems to be that it's
speed. If I can convince the guest OS to not accelerate, and adjust the
virtual speed so that it matches the real speed, it should be much better.
What do you think?

> Another topic is the keycode conversions. Even with SDL, a solution like
> bochs or rdesktop (with an option to give the host keyboard mapping) is
> needed. That's why I did not merge the various patch submitted to
> 'improve' the SDL keyboard emulation.

As I started, we could continue. We could just use the keymaps the wine
guys collected. (I tried to convince the rdesktop people of the same, but
they didn't bite).

Ciao,
Dscho