qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QEmu freezes Linux while installing win98 or win2000

From: Jorge
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QEmu freezes Linux while installing win98 or win2000
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 11:51:34 +0200

Hi all,

first, thank you for your efforts in developing this promising program.

Mi problem is as follows:

When I try to install win98 or win2000 (the only legal versions I have), QEmu
performs well in text mode, but when it switches to graphics mode, sooner or
later the whole Linux box will freeze, I'll have to reboot the machine in
order to use it.

I've tried with different kernels, the GPL'd video driver for my card
(NVIDIA), but the result is always the same, it freezes. It doesn't freezes
at the same position (of the win install procedure), sometimes it does it
after 5 minutes, others after 30 minutes.

I've tried a QEmu compiled from source and the downloadable i386 binary, both
do the same.

What could it be? That a program that is run from a "normal" user freezes the
whole linux system?

My specs:
QEmu 0.5.4
Atlhon 1.7
512 Mbytes RAM
90 GBytes HD
Mandrake Community 10
NVidia GForce4 with NVidia drivers
KDE 3.2
Kernel 2.4.22-10mdk (Mandrake patched with supermount and other stuff)

Thank you in advance

Jorge Windmeisser Oliver