qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] NE2K PCI and Windows 98SE & Cirrus Logic

From: Tim
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] NE2K PCI and Windows 98SE & Cirrus Logic
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 22:24:24 -0700

> I don't unfortunately have any work-around for the network problems.
> I've also tried a manual network setup using the tun/tap device, but it
> doesn't work any better.

For the most part, network has been working fine for me.  I have used
the linux bridging module, across a real ethernet device and tun0, and
it worked ok.  I am now routing across my host OS (which I have done
before), and it is also working ok.  However, I have noticed that from
time to time my pings time out.  Typically the first one or two pings
when I ping a given host.  After that, it usually works fine for
subsequent pings, though sometimes re-surfaces.  Could it be a timing
issue with the virtual device?  Probably not the problems you are
experiencing Hetz, though worth mentioning.

I am using the most recent CVS (at least, as of this afternoon), and the
following command line:

qemu -pci -m 256 -cdrom win2k-install-cd.img -hda win2k-cow.img -boot c -n
"$TUN_SCRIPT"

with the contents of $TUN_SCRIPT being:

sudo ifconfig tun0 192.168.19.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.19.255
sudo sh -c 'echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward'

I am quite impressed with the momentum this project has had thus far.  I
tell all of my friends about it.  Keep up the good work!

tim