qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] NE2K PCI and Windows 98SE & Cirrus Logic

From: Tim
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] NE2K PCI and Windows 98SE & Cirrus Logic
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 23:28:17 -0700

> > I am using the most recent CVS (at least, as of this afternoon), and the
> > following command line:
> >
> > qemu -pci -m 256 -cdrom win2k-install-cd.img -hda win2k-cow.img -boot c -n
> > "$TUN_SCRIPT"
> >
> You're running Windows 2000 with PCI enabled? I didn't think this worked
> yet - certainly all of my attempts so far to get this running have
> failed. Did you have to do anything special to get PCI mode working with
> Windows 2000?

Nope, not really.  I always rip my install media to files, and install
from there, but other than that, nothing extraordinary.  In fact, I
installed with the same exact line above off a fairly recent CVS, with
only the boot option changed to `d'.  My host system is Debian unstable,
using a custom 2.6.6 kernel, based on Debian's kernel source.
The NIC in windoze detects as a
"Realtek RTL8029 (AS)-based PCI Ethernet Adapter".

One quirk though... when I first did the install the other night, I had
forgotten to set up my network startup script.  Windows installed fine,
detected the NIC even, and let me configure it.  From then on, ipconfig
from the command line reported the proper network configuration,
however, the GUI interface for changing the TCP/IP settings was not
configured as I had done during install.  Even after I changed the
settings manually and "rebooted", the win2k guest OS wouldn't update the
TCP/IP config.  (This is even after I got the network tun0 script
working).

Later, I re-installed, with the network script operational, and haven't
yet ran into the same difficulties (though, I haven't extensively
tested).  The GUI interface in win2k does report the proper network
config though.

On the downside I have not been able to install SP4 yet.  No matter
which install method I use, I always get "An error occured", and then it
quits.  Thanks so much for your verbosity Microshaft...

hope that helps,
tim