qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] A QEMU net driver for OpenVPN's Tap-Win32 driver

From: Mike Tremoulet
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] A QEMU net driver for OpenVPN's Tap-Win32 driver
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 11:59:22 -0500

John --

I had looked into this only very slightly.  My thoughts were to use
libpcap/libnet to essentially be a generic network adapter that could
take over any network device, with the goal of using that to
read/write from a TAP driver.  I'm not sure how the libpcap vs.
winpcap API lines up, and I think (not 100% sure) that winpcap can
write to the device as well, but that was the idea.  A command line
switch could specify which network device to control, so I could
concievably run multiple QEMUs with multiple TAP devices.

I spent a week hunting down the networking code in QEMU (hey, I
haven't done *that* much C programming lately) and then, well, life
got busy.  I'd love to see this added, though, as it seems much more
stable than the SLIRP in place today.

-- Mike