qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Using Qemu to install Linux in a Windows XP

From: Brett Bonfield
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Using Qemu to install Linux in a Windows XP
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:40:22 -0500

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:46:59 +0100, Fabrice Bellard <address@hidden> wrote:
> Brett Bonfield wrote:
>  > [...]
> > Also, would you consider making QEMUMenu.bat work with "dd for Win32"
> > as well as it works with Zitu's program. dd for Win32 is available
> > here: http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite/dd.htm
> >
> > The advantage it has over mkqemuimage.exe is that it can make any size
> > images, at least so far as I can tell. The logic John Newbigin emailed
> > goes as follows:
>
> Then why not fixing mkqemuimage.exe to do that too ?
>
> Fabrice.

I hope I didn't offend anyone and I definitely didn't mean to imply
that dd for Win32 was somehow better than mkqemuimage.exe. Honestly, I
don't know anything about mkqemuimage--someone on the Mepis forum
suggested using dd so I investigated how to do that on Windows. Is
there a good reason to use mkqemuimage instead of dd for Win32? I have
no idea how to adjust mkqemuimage so that it meets my needs, but if
someone else wants to take on that project I suspect I'm one of many
people who would be grateful.

Brett