qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Windows 2000 disk full problem during install...

From: Vladimir N. Oleynik
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Windows 2000 disk full problem during install...
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:42:47 +0300

Leo,

>> This correction adds waiting one (or zero, autorandomly) period before
>> sending interruption after positioning before write. (see attach)
>> But this a HACK, do not use after w2k install!

> Can you explain why we shouldn't use this other than for win2k install?
> I'm not too familiar with the IDE emulation and am not sure what the
> consequences would be.  Of course, it is easy to disable at run time by
> just setting s->ide_set_irq_from_timer = 0.  I am just trying to
> understand more about this - what the real problem seems to be, what the
> danger of using this hack after install is, etc.

The periods of the timer too big.
After that hack the host-system will be all more and to be slowed down
at the reference to fragments files.

> I will investigate your AIO solution as well - do you feel that it is
> more correct than this non-AIO patch?

Yes. But I offered idea which most likely works only for softmmu variant
and may be not works for qemu-fast/usermode.
I can`t test -fast variant and unlike -usermode.

--w
vodz