qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Sponsorship for QEMU Developers...

From: Leonardo E. Reiter
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Sponsorship for QEMU Developers...
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 00:40:25 -0500

Hi John,

I apologize for any confusion. In fact I think I also used 'GPL' in my note by mistake instead of 'LGPL'.

The bottom line is just that we always prefer to err on the safe side, thus we chose not to include files such as 'vl.h' in our closed source bits. Plus, it can get a bit dicey when the same tarball actually contains code with 2 or 3 (most files have BSD-style licenses in their comment headers!) types of licenses. It was just the safe thing to do from our perspective, even if we were not even enabling the GPL'd code.

If you or anyone else has any other questions about how we interact with QEMU in our Win4Lin Pro product, please ask. I want to be as honest and forward as possible with everyone, and hope that my company can work together in harmony with this great QEMU community.

Thank you for your understanding,

Leo Reiter

John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
<snip>
Color me confused, but Leo made the point that he is avoiding including
any header files and instead dynamically linking. Why bother if the
pieces in question are LGPLed or even better for him BSD'ed? Talk of
code "contamination," etc.
<snip>

--
Leonardo E. Reiter
Vice President of Engineering

Win4Lin, Inc.
Virtual Computing from Desktop to Data Center
Main: +1 512 339 7979
Fax: +1 512 532 6501
http://www.win4lin.com