qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] quick gtk2.c update

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] quick gtk2.c update
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:32:08 -0400

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 09:26:11PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> "Jim C. Brown"
> >
> > Ok this is probably the final revision. I had the code vindicated by an
> > actual
> > Windows programmer. He says it should work fine. It should compile, run,
> > and make
>
> Okay... I compiled it and the keys do appear to work.
>
> That problem does appear to be fixed.

Excellent news.

> It doesn't look like the 'insert' key toggles between insert / overstrike
> when I use the Win3 wordpad to read a file.  However, this is in the regular
> qemu 0.70, so I don't know if it's a problem with qemu, or Win 3 wordpad.

I don't have a copy of Windows 3 (3.0, 3.1, WfW, or 3.11), so I am not able
to test this.

Windows 98 Wordpad has no issues with the insert key for qemu-gtk.

> Now, while running my Win 3 test image, I notice that double clicking
> doesn't work.  I couldn't get anything to open up no matter how fast I
> clicked.
>
> Single clicking works okay, though.

Again, I can't test Windows 3.

However, under Windows 98 double clicking does seem to have problems. It does
work for me ocassionally (if I keep clicking hard and fast enough - more
"stream clicking" than double clicking), but there are clear issues.

The way GTK/GDK deals with single, double, and triple clicks is weird. I'll
take a much closer look at it.

> > qemu under gtk usable. Also I modified it so it lets u know when u are
> > using GTK.
>
> I noticed that immediately when I ran it...  Nice.  Thanks.

Never a problem. Like I said, it was a dumb oversight on my part.

> > Still, I work with what I have to go on. Try this gtk2.c and report any
> > errors
> > (be they compile errors or runtime errors or keyboard problems). Your help
> > is
> > always greatly appreciated.
>
> I'm glad I'm able to help.
>
> The previous qemu errors I've reported have been completely ignored!
>
> At least you are taking an active interest in what a mere user has to
> say....

I don't think that I am exceptional in this. Most developers are happy to
fix bugs that users report (time permitting of course). It simply looks like
qemu is lacking dedicated Windows developers. At least, thats how it looks to
me.

I know of only 1 real developer of qemu under windows. But he works on a
separate tree (C code cleaned up to compile under MSVC, different IDE and VGA/
Cirrus code, etc).