qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] NT4 guest mouse failure under qemu 0.9.1

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] NT4 guest mouse failure under qemu 0.9.1
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 15:14:53 +0200

On May 24, 2008, at 2:02 PM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:

Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've noticed another failure within our qemu 0.9.1 NT4 guest with
relation to the PS2 mouse driver. After several minutes of normal use,
the mouse pointer suddenly goes mad, with the slightest touch of the
mouse causing the pointer to go flying around the screen. The only
solution to this problem is to reboot the VM instance :(

Looking at the NT4 Event Log, I see the following messages when this
occurs:

An unexpected RESET was detected from the mouse device

Followed by:

Could not set the mouse sample rate

The latter message is repeated in the event log when the mouse is moved until the VM is rebooted. Has anyone experienced this behaviour before?

Okay, I've investigated this a little bit more and far as I can tell, it seems related to the intellimouse extensions. At least, if I force qemu to emulate a standard PS/2 mouse (rather than an intellimouse), then I don't see the problem with the mouse pointer. Perhaps the in-built MS NT4 mouse
driver is broken?

Would anyone be interested in a patch against 0.9.1 to add a new command line option such as -forceps2mouse which would force this behaviour for
broken guests such as NT4?

I from my side would rather like to see a generic -ps2mouse option, that has the option to disable the ps2 mouse in all. So what I'm thinking of would be something along the lines of:

-ps2mouse intellimouse [default]
-ps2mouse old
-ps2mouse none

Alex