[Qemu-devel] Re: Should QMP be RPC to internal C interfaces?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Should QMP be RPC to internal C interfaces?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 08:05:30 -0500

On 08/31/2010 07:58 AM, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:48:51 +0200
Markus Armbruster<address@hidden>  wrote:

Anthony Liguori<address@hidden>  writes:

My position is that we aren't any closer to having compatible APIs
then we were with the human monitor.  I think we need to focus on
compatibility and that that has to be solved as the QEMU interface
level.  I contend that it's not solvable at the QMP level.
We've argued from day 0 every step along the way.  And here we are, one
year later, still arguing about the very basics.

There's a fundamental disagreement.  I want to keep QMP the way it was
designed: supporting compatible evolution.  You want to remake it from
the ground up as RPC to internal C interfaces.

It seems exceedingly unlikely to me that we can agree on the wisdom of
such a remake.  We can repeat and elaborate on our arguments for a
while, but let's face it: we want different things.
Yes, that's the fundamental problem here.

Okay, so what's the path forward?

I've proposed something that I think can get us out of the rut that we're in. I've got code to support that.

Ignoring what I've proposed, what do we do differently?

Anthony Liguori

I'm afraid I can't build you the thing you want.  The best I can offer
is to step out of the way and let you build it.