qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: TCG flow vs dyngen

From: Stefano Bonifazi
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: TCG flow vs dyngen
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:20:13 +0100

On 01/16/2011 08:24 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
2011/1/16 Stefano Bonifazi<address@hidden>:
I need to make the different instances of qemu-user exchange data ..
obviously keeping all of them in the same address space would be the easiest
way (unless I have to change all qemu code ;) )

The problem is that you're trying to break a fundamental
assumption made by a lot of qemu code. That's a large
job which involves understanding, checking and possibly
changing lots of already written code. In contrast, the
code you need to exchange data between the instances is
going to be fairly small and self contained and you'll already
understand it because you've written it/will write it. I think
it's pretty clear which one is going to be easier.

Running each qemu as its own
process and using interprocess communication for whatever
coordination you need between the various instances seems
more likely to be workable to me.

Exactly, it was the easiest way also for me.. and I've already done it,
works smoothly .. the only big problem is that it is not good for my
teacher.. he says it should work the dynamic library way o.O

I think he's wrong. (You might like to think about what happens
if the program being emulated in qemu user-mode does a fork()).

Basically you're trying to do things the hard way; maybe
you can get something that sort of works in the subset of
cases you care about, but why on earth put in that much
time and effort on something irrelevant to the actual problem
you're trying to work on?

-- PMM

Well my teacher's answer was that it is useless doing that, as there are already plenty of solutions based on IPC .. they are interested in this other approach, testing it .. They are not interested on how difficult it can be for a student, how long it can take.. :(
Best regards,
Stefano B.