qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: kvm crashes with spice while loading qxl

From: Marcelo Tosatti
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: kvm crashes with spice while loading qxl
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 13:13:05 -0300

On Sun, Mar 06, 2011 at 12:38:44PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 03/05/2011 06:35 PM, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> >Regarding global mutex, TCG and KVM execution behaviour can become more
> >similar wrt locking by dropping qemu_global_mutex during generation and
> >execution of TBs.
>
> How can you do that?  During generation, a device can assert the
> reset line, changing cpu modes,

Writes to CPUState fields needs can moved to vcpu thread context
(run_on_cpu), and reads performed under a lock.

Good thing is most CPUState accesses are local to vcpu context.

>  or move the memory map.

Memory map can be protected by a read-write lock initially, so that vcpu
thread holds it for read. Later can be converted to URCU.

Is write access to memory map necessary from vcpu context?