qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization test

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization tests
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 16:00:53 +0100

Il 09/03/2012 15:43, Anthony Liguori ha scritto:
> Linux is the only part that matters here.  The userspace in qemu-jeos
> is just there to give a small environment for Linux to function
> properly in.

But again that's not okay for all testcases.  If I want to do SCSI
tests, I cannot write them in shell scripts because qemu-jeos does not
have sg3_utils.

Even libos would not help; relying on sg3_utils means that the client is
a completely clear reimplementation.  I don't care about the extra trips
to the SCSI specs that sg3_utils would save.  The problem is that since
qtest cannot run on real hardware, I don't have confirmation that I
didn't misinterpret the standards.  Writing all bits of the testsuite
makes it likely to have the same misinterpretations in both the tested
code and the tests, even if I try to write the tests from scratch with
only the spec in front of me.

> I'm skeptical of the value of this from a QEMU point of view.  Do we
> really care if the buildroot version of udev propagates hotplug
> events correct in buildroot for ARM in a beagleboard machine?

I don't care about udev.  But even just binutils+GCC+kernel+uclibc is
not as easy if you care about dozens of architectures.

Paolo