qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] We need more reviewers/maintainers!!

From: Lluís Vilanova
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] We need more reviewers/maintainers!!
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 19:03:55 +0100

Stefano Stabellini writes:
[...]
> Patches are being posted to the list that don't get any reviews at all.
> Other patches get reviewed the first time, then once they are reposted
> they don't get any other reviews or acked-by or reviewed-by.

What are the different tags available and what is their semantic? Maybe this
should be written down somewhere (HACKING?).

I'll contribute a starting list of tags
(http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/SubmittingPatches), please
check these are the desired semantics for this project.

* Cc: Full Name <email>

  In addition to sending the patches to the mailing list, they must be Cc'ed to,
  at least, the maintainers for the affected files. You can look up the
  maintainers for each file in the MAINTAINERS file.

  The command "git send-email" will automatically look for such a tag in order
  to send a CC of the mail to the given person.

  Document maintainer discovery with 'scripts/get_maintainer.pl'?

* Acked-by: Full Name <email>

  If a person was not directly involved in the preparation or handling of a
  patch but wishes to signify and record their approval of it then they can
  arrange to have an Acked-by: line. Acked-by: does not necessarily indicate
  acknowledgement of the entire patch.

* Tested-by: Full Name <email>

  A Tested-by: tag indicates that the patch has been successfully tested (in
  some environment) by the person named. This tag informs maintainers that some
  testing has been performed, provides a means to locate testers for future
  patches, and ensures credit for the testers.

* Reviewed-by: Full Name <email>

  A Reviewed-by tag is a statement of opinion that the patch is an appropriate
  modification without any remaining serious technical issues. Any interested
  reviewer (who has done the work) can offer a Reviewed-by tag for a patch.

My understanding until now was that both Acked-by and Reviewed-by were tags
reserved to people with privileges to write into the repository.

Lluis

 Tollbooth