qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus bugs vs endian: how two bugs cancel each other o

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus bugs vs endian: how two bugs cancel each other out
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:55:58 +0300

On 07/30/2012 04:45 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Avi Kivity <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Minor improvements to stdvga actual help qxl (presumably).  qxl still
>>> provides a vga interface which is used when guest drivers aren't
>>> available.
>>
>> The premise is that guest drivers will be used, otherwise you may as
>> well stay with stdvga.
>
> The trouble is predicting which guests have drivers and which guests
> don't.  Having a VGA model that could be enabled universally with good
> VBE support for guests without drivers would be a very nice default
> model.

I agree.  Hopefully it won't be difficult to get the guest to unmap, or
maybe we can just unregister the direct RAM mapping in qemu.

> We've never made the switch because WinXP doesn't have VESA support
> natively.  But we're slowly getting to the point in time where it's
> acceptable to require a special command line option for running WinXP
> guests such that we could consider changing the default machine type.

Yes.

>>> It's not clear to me why it doesn't enable VBE but presumably if it did,
>>> then accelerations could be mapped through VBE.
>>
>> I believe the idea is that you don't want to map the framebuffer into
>> the guest, this allows one-directional communication so you can defer
>> rendering to the client and not suffer from the latency.  But I may be
>> mixing things up.
>
> Hrm, that seems like an odd strategy for legacy VGA.  Spice isn't
> remoting every pixel update, right?  I would assume it's using the same
> logic as the rest of the VGA cards and doing bulk updates based on the
> refresh timer.  In that case, exposing the framebuffer shouldn't matter
> at all.

I'd assume so too, but we need to make sure the framebuffer is unmapped
when in accelerated mode, or at least the guest has no expectations of
using it.

>>> Actually, Gerd et al have expressed interest in moving to a virtio-based
>>> device model for Spice in the past.
>>>
>>> I think done correctly, it could help bring graphics to other platforms
>>> like S390 where PCI doesn't exist and will never exist.
>>
>> I thought the plan was to render into a virtual card punch, then flip
>> through the cards at 60 fps?
>
> 48.5 fps actually.  In 1960 when the system was designed, there were two
> competing frame rates.  Everything else standardized on 60Hz but S390
> still uses the old 48.5 refresh rate (and it's obviously superior).

s390 can outwierd anyone and anything.

>> Virtio makes sense for qxl, but for now we have the original pci model
>> which I don't see a reason why it can't work for ppc.
>
> I'm sure it can work for PPC given enough effort.  But I think the
> question becomes, why not invest that effort in moving qxl to the
> standard transport that the rest of our PV devices use.

The drm drivers for the current model are needed anyway; so moving to
virtio is extra effort, not an alternative.

Note virtio doesn't support mapping framebuffers yet, or the entire vga
compatibility stuff, so the pc-oriented card will have to be a mix of
virtio and stdvga multiplexed on one pci card (maybe two functions, but
I'd rather avoid that).