qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] What to do about non-qdevified devices?

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] What to do about non-qdevified devices?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 18:14:32 +0100

Am 30.01.2013 17:58, schrieb Paolo Bonzini:
> Il 30/01/2013 14:44, Andreas Färber ha scritto:
>> I disagree on the "or else" part. I have been qdev'ifying and QOM'ifying
>> devices in my maintenance area, and progress is slow. It gets even
>> slower if one leaves clearly maintained areas. I see no good reason to
>> force a pistol on someone's breast, like you have done for IDE, unless
>> there is a good reason to do so. Currently I don't see any.
>
> The reason for IDE is that it involved devices that are not
> SysBusDevices (the IDE disk devices).  Having the same code work in two
> ways, one qdevified and one not, is bad.

Sure, I did help with the QOM'ification there. "Currently I don't see
any [good reason]" by contrast referred to removing *all* devices that
are not yet qdev/QOM'ified without such pressing reason.

> For simple SysBusDevice you're changing a crappy default to a less bad
> one, but there's really little incentive to qdev/QOM-ification.

No disagreement. The benefits don't come from doing a conversion, they
come from basing new work on the result of a conversion. :)

Andreas