qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] machines and versions - why so many?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] machines and versions - why so many?
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 22:41:58 +0100

On 23 June 2014 22:35, Alexey Kardashevskiy <address@hidden> wrote:
> Others (ARM, s390) do not do that because they do not support PCI? Or
> migration? Or some other reason?

ARM doesn't have versioned machines because we do not
yet support migration between QEMU versions; I think it's
currently too early to commit to that, because it's a
maintenance burden and it means you accumulate
legacy cruft and there are some changes you can't make.
At some point enough people will care about cross
version migration for ARM that we'll have to do it,
but not just yet...

thanks
-- PMM