qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for 2017-03-14

From: Greg Kurz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for 2017-03-14
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 11:29:17 +0100

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 11:56:36 +0100
Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 14 March 2017 at 09:59, Juan Quintela <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>
> >> Speaking of this, I was thinking that we should introduce
> >> a rule that for any host OS/arch we support we must have
> >> a build machine so we can at least do a compile test.
> >> For instance if you believe configure we support Solaris
> >> and AIX, but I bet they're bit-rotting. The ia64 backend
> >> has to be a strong candidate for being dumped too.
> >> Demanding "system we can test on or we drop support"
> >> would let us more clearly see what we're actually running
> >> on and avoid unnecessarily ruling things out because they
> >> don't support Itanium or AIX...
> >
> > YES, YES and YES.
> >
> > I demand an osX build machine NOW!!!!  Remote access is ok.
>
> OSX is actually in the set that's OK because I have a
> machine I can test on. The ones that are problems are
> all the BSDs, AIX, Solaris, Haiku, and architectures

The most relevant links I could find about AIX hosts only mention
QEMU 0.9.1:

http://www.perzl.org/aix/index.php?n=Main.Qemu
http://www.vivier.eu/Qemu/

I'm not aware of any effort within IBM to support newer versions
of QEMU on an AIX host (Cc'ing Laurent in case he would be aware
of a non-IBM initiative).

I can maybe try to grab an AIX system and see what happens. I'm
okay to run the deprecation process if we choose to go that way.

Cheers.

--
Greg