qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: changing ROM bundling in tar dists for releases

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: changing ROM bundling in tar dists for releases
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2017 11:49:38 +0200

  Hi,

> > Question is what to do with the non-firmware submodules (pixman,
> > dtc,
> > more?) then.  I think they are not that big, so I doubt it is worth
> > the
> > hassle to create two tarball versions.  And license-wise it isn't a
> > issue too.
>
> I've always wondered why we need to specialcase those modules at all.
> Personally I'd just remove them entirely and let people install the
> -dev packages on their distro just like they do for any other build
> prerequisite of QEMU.

Yes, we can probably do that now with pixman.  A few years back when
the submodule was added there was the problem that some distros shipped
too old versions of pixman.  Known offender: RHEL-5.  But RHEL-5 is EOL
meanwhile and I think qemu raised the minimum glib version to something
newer than what RHEL-5 ships, so it qemu doesn't build on RHEL-5
anyway.

Dunno about dtc.

cheers,
  Gerd