Re: [Qemu-discuss] Bug reports ?

From: Ken Moffat
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Bug reports ?
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 23:57:58 +0100

On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 02:01:47AM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 23 August 2015 at 01:09, Ken Moffat <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Is this the right place to ask about what seems to be a fairly
> > catastrophic bug (host machine running recent x86_64 linux and
> > 4.2-rc kernels locks up with 2.4.0 when qemu is running but
> > seems fine with 2.3.0) or do I need to subscribe to a different
> > list ?
>
> You'll probably do better to report it on qemu-devel
> (that is a high-volume list; I don't think you need to be
> subscribed to send it email). Or you could file a bug report at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu -- though that only gets
> attention because bug mail is forwarded to qemu-devel, so
> it's another way of mailing the list, in effect.
>
> Locking up the host kernel is technically speaking a KVM
> bug (or some other kernel bug) rather than a QEMU bug,
> but the people who care will be on qemu-devel.
>
> thanks
> -- PMM

Peter, thanks for that, and you are correct, it definitely is a
kernel issue.  I was trying to form a "is this kernel good or bad ?"
testcase, and decided to try leaving qemu (running Xorg from
'startx' with xscreensaver enabled) for 3 hours.  Did that with
kernel 4.2.0-rc8 and qemu-2.3.0, and when I came back the box was
unresponsive.  I'll take this to lkml and copy qemu-devel.

ĸen
--
This one goes up to eleven: but only on a clear day, with the wind in
the right direction.