Re: [Qemu-discuss] QEMU Software Questions

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] QEMU Software Questions
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 18:51:41 +0100

On 11 July 2017 at 00:15, Nguyen, Theresa X <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madame,
>
>                   I have an opportunity to download the Quick Emulator (QEMU)
> V2.9.0.
>
>                 There is one file located at:
>

> \qemu-2.9.0\roms\u-boot\board\Marvell\include\mv_gen_reg.h<file:///\\ftwgroups\data\ITInfoSecRep\Certifications\QEMU_QuickEmulator\QEMU_V2_9_0\Inventory\qemu-2.9.0\roms\u-boot\board\Marvell\include\mv_gen_reg.h>
>
> It contains the header showed as below:
>
>                 *              Copyright 2002, GALILEO TECHNOLOGY, LTD.
>                  *
> * THIS CODE CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION OF MARVELL.
>  *
> * NO RIGHTS ARE GRANTED HEREIN UNDER ANY PATENT, MASK WORK RIGHT OR COPYRIGHT
>  *
> * OF MARVELL OR ANY THIRD PARTY. MARVELL RESERVES THE RIGHT AT ITS SOLE
>   *
> * DISCRETION TO REQUEST THAT THIS CODE BE IMMEDIATELY RETURNED TO MARVELL.
>  *
> * THIS CODE IS PROVIDED "AS IS". MARVELL MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED,
>  *
> * IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE, REGARDING ITS ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS OR PERFORMANCE.
>  *
> *                                                      *
> * MARVELL COMPRISES MARVELL TECHNOLOGY GROUP LTD. (MTGL) AND ITS
> SUBSIDIARIES, *
> * MARVELL INTERNATIONAL LTD. (MIL), MARVELL TECHNOLOGY, INC. (MTI), MARVELL
>  *
> * SEMICONDUCTOR, INC. (MSI), MARVELL ASIA PTE LTD. (MAPL), MARVELL JAPAN K.K.
>  *
> * (MJKK), GALILEO TECHNOLOGY LTD. (GTL) AND GALILEO TECHNOLOGY, INC. (GTI).
>  *
>
>                 I am confused about what they list above, I would like to ask
> for your clarification
>
> Is this code was authorized to use?  And could you also let me know if it
> authorized, it will be use in what conditions?

I'm not a lawyer. If you want an answer to a legal question you
need to ask a lawyer.

I can tell you that this code is part of u-boot, which we include
with QEMU only because it is built into a guest ROM image
(pc-bios/u-boot.e500) which we use on the 'ppce500' PowerPC
board. Further, I would not expect that file to be compiled
into the u-boot.e500 binary because it's definitions specific
to a different chip (but I have not tested this).

At some point we should probably move to a newer version of
u-boot (this one is from 2014), which will in passing delete
this file since it has dropped support for all those boards
that used it.

thanks
-- PMM