Re: [Qemu-discuss] virtio device instances identification by guest

From: Artem Pisarenko
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] virtio device instances identification by guest
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 14:56:21 +0600

Forgot to clarify that identification needs to be unique only to machine
scope. 'virtio-net-pci' has 'mac' property, but if user wants to
instantiate multiple such machines and connect them in one network, then
'mac' value also needs to be unique per this network. Thus, user have to
generate 'mac' from some <network host id> and <NIC id> parts and guest
should find network interface by mac address masked with <NIC id> part.
Itsn't as elegant as in examples above. Although, it's better than
nothing...