qsos-general

Re: [QSOS-general] Interested in completing the CMS template

From: Romain GUINOT
Subject: Re: [QSOS-general] Interested in completing the CMS template
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 20:05:58 +0200

Le vendredi 5 octobre 2007, address@hidden a écrit :
> I would be interested in completing and modifying the organisation of the
> CMS template. Is anybody else working on this?
>
> The areas which I think need dealing with are in particular the following:
>
> 1) A better distinction between CMS (which I think of as Web content
> management) and DMS (document management), which in my view are related
> and overlapping, but nonetheless very distinct in terms of their
> requirements and use.
>
> 2) A greater emphasis on the whole question of metadata and classification
>
> I have a comment on the way in which "Packaging" is described in the
> generic section: I am particularly interested in PHP based CMS software -
> and of course the fact it is in PHP makes the entire packaging section
> irrelevant for me (as indeed it would be, I believe, for packages designed
> in Python Zope, Plone??). In fact there should probably be a section for
> indicating the language (Python, Java, PHP, Perl....) and also the
> infrastructure: web server, database, file system.
>
> Cordialement,
>
> Martin KNAPP
> Section Politiques Transversales
> Bureau Copernic Appui
> Pièce 458R - Bâtiment Turgot
> Tél: 01 53 18 07 65
> "No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England" (Shakespeare, Henry V)

Hi Martin,

The original idea behind this template was to aggregate as many "Web 2.0"
applications and features as possible to be able to address as many
enterprise needs as possible.

* Regarding Web content management and Document management, similar features
have been grouped in a common services section for features such as
search,versionning to avoid the overlapping you mention.

* However, I agree with you on the fact that the web content management needs
more work to add features like virtual sandboxing, ease of deployment,
rollbacks, access tracking, etc...

* Rereading the classification / metadata section, it is obvious some features
are missing such as virtual views, category tagging, standards support, meta
data aspect injection...

* Regarding packaging, this is a discussion i had multiple times with other
members of the QSOS project. I agree with you that, for me, web applications
render the packaging issue a moot point ! However some argue that even some
Web Applications are supplied by packages handled by a package installation
system such as yum, apt... This eases the deployment of said applications in
many cases, and so it is worth mentionning it.

Let me know what you think,
Best regards,
Romain GUINOT
Open Source Consultant
Atos Origin, Open Source Center
Systems Integration

Votez pour QSOS aux Trophées de l'innovation Atos Origin !
https://intranet.fr.atosorigin.com/innovation/projet.asp?blog_id=38

Phone  : 01 55 91 23 25
Mobile : 06 74 06 26 94
Jabber : address@hidden