qsos-general

[QSOS-general] Question of packaging and CMS

From: martin . knapp
Subject: [QSOS-general] Question of packaging and CMS
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 15:08:32 +0200

I'm working away at this rather in my own time and hope to publish a much more complete CMS/DMS template in the not too distant future - in several versions I think to make it easier for comments to be made.

I agree absolutely that the metadata section is critical - this is one of the most crucial aspects of any such system (though I have precious little idea what "metadata aspect injection" means!).

On the "packaging" side, we actually have a problem in that the "packaging" you can envisage for a web application does not really fit well into the "generic" heading. For example, if you are talking about an application like OpenOffice then of course the details in "packaging" are important - but for a web application like a CMS the situation is completely different since you depend on things like the web server, the database, the language... These questions can be critical especially if you are not hosting the CMS yourself but buying a hosting service. There are any number of hosting services which give you LAMP as basic - but installing on Java or Zope (or even Midgard) is not so straightforward an issue.

Another question with the "packaging" is how the installation functions: for example, Drupal-6 now provides an installation package which takes you step by step through the installation process, including building the database. No need to run scripts any more to set up the database, you just follow the instructions.

Installation also includes adding contributed modules, configuring them, upgrading the core and contributed modules... there are a host of other questions like that, which should ideally be taken into account. But perhaps I'm getting a bit carried away!

Cordialement,

Martin KNAPP
Section Politiques Transversales
Bureau Copernic Appui
Pièce 458R - Bâtiment Turgot
Tél: 01 53 18 07 65
"No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England" (Shakespeare, Henry V)