quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] fix patch version check in configure.ac

From: John Vandenberg
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] fix patch version check in configure.ac
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:43:38 +1100

On 1/24/06, Andreas Gruenbacher <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Monday 23 January 2006 22:23, Dean Roehrich wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 09:44:08PM +0100, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> > > I still need to fix ftw by either using nftw or something else; then we
> > > should be ready for 0.43.
> >
> > The "something else" that I'm using today is sun-backup-files-2.diff from
> > http://zeroj.hda0.net/quilt-0.43-patches-v5/
> >
> > This appears to be happy on Solaris and linux.  I did have one question
> > about it, though.  Perhaps the addition of the 'rm -rf' in push.in should
> > be joined with the preceding backup-files with an &&, as was done in
> > pop.in?
>
> It probably should, but I'd really prefer fixing backup-files instead. It does
> matter how many programs are forked/exec'd at this place, and it's just
> unclean for backup-files to leave around trash that it created before.

In order to get some idea of how expensive a a bash only
implementation would be, I have roughly drafted up a patch that
implements backup-files -r.

http://zeroj.hda0.net/quilt-0.43-patches-v5/sh-restore-2.diff

There are two exec's per patch, and for push, one exec per file; for pop, two.

While this is probably too expensive for linux kernel development, it
certainly wouldn't affect me with only a few small patches per series.
 Could we introduce a bash only implementation for platforms without
nftw?

--
John