quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] why patch-wrapper?

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] why patch-wrapper?
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:25:24 +0100

On Friday, 31 October 2008 14:43:34 Dean Roehrich wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:01:06PM +0100, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> > On Thursday 30 October 2008 22:47:03 Dean Roehrich wrote:
> > > Well, I'm having trouble with test/patch-wrapper on solaris and this
> > > has me wondering, why does quilt install patch-wrapper into
> > > /usr/share/quilt/wrapper if there are no users outside of the test
> > > suite? And why does this one test use it?
> >
> > It puts this directory into the $PATH for being able to access tools that
> > are not in the normal $PATH. Check the configure options used at build
> > time.
>
> I think you're talking about the 'compat' directory.

Umm ... I somehow misread completely, sorry.

I wrote patch-wrapper for use during package building: by using the wrapper
instead of GNU patch, you end up with unpacked and patched sources that have
all the metainformation needed for directly modifying the patches.

I haven't used that approach in a long time though; maybe we should just
remove the scipt and its test case.

Andreas