quilt-dev

[Quilt-dev] push -f fails on empty patch

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: [Quilt-dev] push -f fails on empty patch
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 13:08:09 +0100

Hi Andreas,

I noticed that "quilt push -f" fails on patch files which have a header
but no actual contents. This is because "patch" complains that it only
found garbage in the patch, and returns with status 2. "quilt push" only
honors option "-f" if patch returns with status 1.

This change came with commit 031ed720 in the middle of other, apparently
unrelated changes. All the commit message says is: "Fail pushes when GNU
patch exits with a status > 1." But it doesn't say _why_ that change was
made.

I sometimes work temporarily with patch files without actual contents.
For example I prepare a series of several patches, I know what each
patch will do so I write the header comments, and I add the contents
later. I would like to be able to navigate in such a series. I can
understand that this is not the most frequent use case for quilt and I
am fine having to force-push these patches, but currently I can't even
do that.

Can you remember why you disabled push -f when "patch" returns with
status 2? Any objection to me dropping this check?

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare
Suse L3