[RP] redefining maximised window geometry?

From: Sean Cohen
Subject: [RP] redefining maximised window geometry?
Date: Mon Oct 28 05:56:03 2002

Hi, I stumbled across ratpoison a week ago in a concerted effort to
avoid working on my honours thesis. Needless to say, my thesis is
lagging behind but I just found a kickass window manager.

It's pretty much perfect. I was thinking a while ago what my perfect
window manager would be, and this is pretty damn close.. All I need now
is an auto-hiding panel (hey, sometimes my hand is already on the mouse
:) and I'm set.

About a day ago tho, I noticed something that could be pretty cool if
done properly. I'm sure you're all familiar with "infinite height" menus
(a la MacOS), basically where the File..Edit..etc menus exist at the
VERY top of the screen. I didn't realise how useful they were until I
noticed they were there. Now every time I use a mac I just have to aim
the mouse "up", and just get the x-positioning right. I's amazing the
difference it makes.

Well, what I realised was that ratpoison *almost* does this. In Lyx the
menus are 6 pixels from the top of the screen. In galeon they're 4
pixels from the top. I figure there must be a way (quick hack would be
at compile time) to set the maximising of windows to be from, say, 6 or
7 pixels above the top of the screen, that way (even though it may not
be pretty) the File..Edit..etc menus would all be EXACTLY at the top of
the screen. bam, infinite height menus (even if it's only in a maximised
window).

Not a revolutionary idea, I know, but how easy would it be? I'm not much
of a programmer, so I don't know how much I could do, apart from
testing. Perhaps the height-above-the-screen could be customised per
window, based on how high the window needs to be to get the menus to hit
the top.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Sean.