Re: [RP] Sending of any key in top keymap

From: Martin Samuelsson
Subject: Re: [RP] Sending of any key in top keymap
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 22:48:17 +0100

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 03:17:53AM -0600, Joe Corneli wrote:
> Wow, this seems really cool.

Yeah, it does. Doesn't it?

> how about a function wrapper that sends each key to RP?  You may say
> it is better just to do this as a script.  But here's an example
> anyway...

Well, you said it yourself. It can be done in a script. (:

And actually the functionality of keypress could be done in a script as
well. By the means of saving the escape key, changing the escape key,
running meta and change the key back.

However that seems a bit too annoying. Especially since the only way I
figure out to find out the escape key is with:

        ratpoison -c "help root"|awk '$2=="other" {print $1}'

Scripting keyseq is simple and I can't really see the reason for having
it in core ratpoison. (Like I hope keypress will be)

Keypress needs to be added since the generic key map code doesn't have a
command corresponding to :definekey the way :meta corresponds to
:escape.

The way I see it I would love to have commands like keyseq and functions
like the jnpatch client-server model available in the core distribution
but not compiled in by default. Not beeing in control of the CVS tree I
can't do anything else than beg for it though.

My keypress patch isn't ready for inclusion yet. I'll work on fixing
it's bugs when I have network and at the same time remember to update my
repository.

On top of my wishlist for in core inclusion is the jnpatch. Or actually
most the xft parts of it. Can that happen? Sabbets? Rcyeske? (And how's
that CVS passwd recovery proceeding?)

> Currently having a hard time running scripts, hence the suggestion.

How come?

In what situation is it easier upgrading and/or patching ratpoison than
running scripts from it? What's your environment?
--
/Martin